Friday, March 7, 2014

Two movies to watch this week

I don't know about the rest of you, but having a week off school spoiled me.  While I did actually do some schoolwork (REALLY) and some badly needed housework, I also found time to sit and couch surf the TV channels.  I must admit to being a movie buff and I did manage to watch all the contenders for OSCAR on Sunday.  However, I also come across a movie I had never seen before with Tom Hanks and Julia Roberts (two pretty major league stars) called Larry Crown. 

If you have not seen this movie I  recommend you watch it and look at it from my perspective of things.  Larry Crown (played by Tom Hanks) is an employee of a company who decide to fire him because he has not got a college education even though he has won employee of the month 8 times.  He finds a much lower paying job as a waiter and decides to go to college.  Julia Roberts plays a teacher who is disillusioned with her life and job and feels that she doesn't make any difference to any of her students.  She learns differently.
Here's a clip from the movie
 

I was also reminded about another movie about mature students returning to school, with Rodney Dangerfield in it called Back to School.
This movie is about a successful businessman who wants his son to get an education and gets told by him "you didn't go to college so why should I"?  So Rodney Dangerfield decides to set an example and enrolls in college.  It is an "ANCIENT" comedy from 1986 that I think people can still relate to.  Here's a clip for your viewing pleasure
Both of these movies show the general public two things.  1.  You are never too old to learn and 2.  just because you have a few years under your belt doesn't mean you can't have fun learning. 
I personally feel that way.  Life provides an education all by itself, just not always on paper.
Onward and Upward.Tom Hanks

2 comments:

  1. I saw the beginning of it on tv last week and have been wanting to see it for awhile now. I was following Tom Hanks on Twitter when he was writing, directing and starring in it which made me want to see it cause he made it to be so funny. One day I will finish it. Thanks for the reminder Wendy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have seen Larry Crown and have enjoyed it. I love Tom Hanks' character and his outlook and determination. I would recommend watching it as well. Haven't seen the other one yet but will look into it.

    ReplyDelete