Friday, March 7, 2014

So are you sick of school yet?

Because I have been in school for a few years now, I often get asked by friends and family, "Are you sick of school yet?"  Or else, they ask me the dreaded, "Are you going to be able to find a job right away?" 

First let me address the fact that for the last 4 years I have been in school right through the summers.  I have learned so much in my academic life. I have LOVED every single moment (well maybe not EVERY moment, I could have done without all the exams --lol)  I have been at two different schools and found them vastly different with pros and cons for both. 

If I could realistically continue in school for the rest of my life without the financial responsibilities that go with it I would in a heartbeat!  However, sometimes you need to be practical and say, ok enough is enough....for now!  Who's to say I won't return again later, but right now, I need to take a break from learning at school and put all that knowledge to use in real life.  Cause, yes, I must admit, I am a bit "sick" of school at this point and anxious to get on with using my hard earned skills.

This leads into the second dreaded question about finding a job immediately. 
I am positive that like the majority of new grads, regardless of age, a job is at the top of their list.  Living in a financially depressed area like the Niagara Region is a bit devastating.  I am of course willing to travel to have a job, but I need to have the funds to pay the gas to get there till my first pay check.  A vicious cycle.  The problem is I NEED to get a job immediately.  We are dying financially right now and I can't afford to be picky about work.  In the past six months I have applied to over 500 jobs and I am at the point where I will take what I can get. 

Will I apply to positions I have trained for?  Of course I will and ideally I will get a job in one of my fields.  If not, hopefully I will be able to apply what I have learned to whatever job I do land and of course I will keep applying to jobs in my field even if I have to take a job I don't particularly like for now.

My wish for everyone is to have us all in Spock's words "Live long and prosper." 


Onward and Upwards

5 comments:

  1. I am so sick of school! But then I start thinking about real life and how scary that sounds. And finding a job adds even more stress. I guess we just have to have faith that our schooling will get us a good job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wendy, great post. Every time I feel I have had enough and want to finish school for good I somehow end up back in a lecture somewhere. The real world is a scary place, and having the patience to wait for a good job is a difficult task. Let's just hope that this will be the last stop on our educational travels, and we will all find great jobs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally agree with the above comments. Wendy, I think right now we are all facing the kind of stress more or less. Hope everyone will reap a good job after all these hard work at school. "Live long and prosper." Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is my DREAM to stay in school forever - I wish I could just go every year and take a new program, eventually learning everything! Is that too ambitious?? Lol, maybe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't think I could stay in school much longer. What I've studied so far will be good for now (hopefully), but I agree — we're all at the stage of trying to find that dream job.
    Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete