Sunday, March 16, 2014

The end of COLLEGE life & beginning REAL life


So, fellow students, here we are at the end of the post grad year.  How does it feel?  Are you all prepared to go out and face the big bad world and give it your best efforts? 

I am sure you are all like me, filled with hope and trepidation.  It reminds me of that song from The Sound of Music,  "I have confidence in me. " written by Richard Rogers.  The lyrics are very appropriate for us all.  I have paraphrased some of the lyrics below. http://www.stlyrics.com/t/thesoundofmusic.htm


What will this day be like? I wonder.
What will my future be? I wonder.
It could be so exciting to be out in the world, to be free
My heart should be wildly rejoicing
Oh, what's the matter with me?

I've always longed for adventure
To do the things I've never dared
And here I'm facing adventure
Then why am I so scared

Oh, I must stop these doubts, all these worries
If I don't I just know I'll turn back
I must dream of the things I am seeking
I am seeking the courage I lack


So, let them bring on all their problems
I'll do better than my best
I have confidence they'll put me to the test
But I'll make them see I have confidence in me


Now that you have familiarized yourself with those lyrics from 1965 how do you feel?  Do you agree with the character, Maria's, fears and feelings of inadequacy?  Embarking on a new adventure in life is always an exciting time, filled with fear and worries, sweaty palms and anxiety causing stomach knots. 

As an "older" student, I know I am competing with all you younger grads, however, it is a bit of a comfort to me to know that you are also all competing with one another too. 

All any of us can do is, like the song lyrics say:
  1. Do better than our best
  2. Have confidence in ourselves
  3. Dream of the things we are seeking. 

So all that is left is for all of us to ....GO!  Chase your dreams with confidence!  Live the life you want for yourself!

Onward and Upward guys, Onward and Upward.

4 comments:

  1. "And here I'm facing adventure
    Then why am I so scared" is right Wendy! I think we all could benefit from reading this post before the end of classes. To say that I'm terrified would be an understatement, but I'm glad to hear I'm not alone!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is an awesome post, Wendy! I love that you quoted Sound of Music! You're right- I'm even nervous with how quickly our internships are approaching. Onward and upward for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  3. "What will my future be? I wonder" all through my life I have known the next step, but my plans ended at university, now weeks away from finishing my life as I know it, I simply wonder what´s next.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so nervous for entering the real world. I have been in school for 18 years now, so I am terrified to actually get a job (hopefully one I love) and start contributing to society. I am glad to know that by reading this blog and others comments thatI am not alone for how I feel. thanks Wendy!

    ReplyDelete