Saturday, February 22, 2014

Fears mature students face about school

Today I want to address some common fears mature students face when returning to school.  Many fears are not realistic, but they exist nevertheless.

  • I haven’t studied in years. I’m out of practice.                                          
  • What if I am too "stupid" to learn this new stuff and have  wasted my money?
  • How will I juggle my home life and school life?
  • What if I can't catch on to what the professor is teaching and never "get it"?
  • I haven’t written a test in a long time.  I’m worried, anxious and nervous, scared to death.
  • I haven't written a paper in over 20 years.

  • I don’t know how to use a computer well.  Everything at the college seems to involve computers or the internet.

  • What is up with all this math?  I don't even know the metric system.  When I was in school we were only taught the imperial system.


  • What if I don't find anyone to talk to and can't make any friends?  What if I feel so self-conscious I give up ?  Am I too old to even try to learn something new?


    •   I feel like such an outsider.

    • I'll feel old and stupid next to everyone else.  What if i don't relate to anyone?  All my friends are my age so I'll feel awkward around them and I will feel so OLD around all the young kids.
     I now realize a lot of the above fears are not necessarily an age thing....everyone fears new things at first.  It boils down to the following questions:
    Would you rather look stupid for a couple of years then have a successful, good paying job? Or would you rather look stupid your whole life working at some low paying, menial,  dead end job?

    My best advice is this:  Just be proud of what you are doing for your own self and your own future no matter what age you are.  Be proud that you are doing a good thing for yourself.    
    Meanwhile, onward and upward.                                                                                    You are NEVER to old to learn  
     
     
    .
     
     

     

    8 comments:

    1. Interesting insight into some of the fears of mature students. I guess some of us take it for granted that we haven't left school yet, so a lot of the skills/ technology is second nature to us. But like you said everyone fears new things, and just be proud of what you are doing!

      ReplyDelete
    2. I completely agree that you are never too old to learn. I'm not exactly sure what will happen years down the road, but going back to school at some point may be something I might consider. Even students who haven't taken years off from school may experience some of those fears. The best thing to do I find is to just believe in yourself!

      ReplyDelete
    3. just rember myself when I went to the university for the first time. The whole your list of fears was there))) but with time you understand you are smart enough to cope with it. It's never late to learn not to be afraid)))

      ReplyDelete
    4. Wendy, I am so proud of you doing what you want to do with your future. And also i am really inspired by your courage going back to school. As it has been said above, it is not about age, we all experience these fears more or less. You are way too much better than others at your age, so cheer up. we are here for you if you need any help. Like sometimes, i also need your help. I am so happy we have you with us in class.

      ReplyDelete
    5. Wendy this post offered some amazing insight into the fears anyone might have returning back to school. I totally agree that you are never to old to learn something new. Thanks for your perspective, I look forward to reading more of your posts.
      -Joanna

      ReplyDelete
    6. Very interesting blog topic and post. Addressing the questions you have may very well assist not only older students, but all students when venturing into a college program. Great work!

      ReplyDelete
    7. Wendy, I enjoyed reading this post. You addressed many important points - mainly the fact that we are never too old to learn. I could not agree more. Life is precious and you should never stop learning. It is great to keep an open mind and you seem to always carry that with you which is an intelligent trait to have.

      ReplyDelete
    8. This was a great read and very insightful.

      ReplyDelete