Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Life is hard, education doesn't have to be


I find myself comparing my viewpoints with some of my fellow students on all manner of issues.  They think they know everything and have their future all planned out.  Well, I am here to tell them that life does not always go smoothly and no matter how intelligent you are, or how much planning you do for the future, NOTHING ever goes according to plan in life.  

When I was 19 I was married and had a lucrative career working with my husband in advertising.  At 22, my husband died of cancer and I was suddenly a widow.  At 25, I married a man 17 years older than me and put my career on hold to raise two sons.  When my boys were in school full time, I returned to work.  At 35, after 10 years of extreme physical, mental and verbal spousal abuse, I escaped with my sons and what we could carry.  We slept on the floor till I found full time work.  Did this take courage?  You bet it did!  Did this make me grow up in a hurry?  You bet it did!  Did it give me a very different perspective on life from others my   age….you bet it did!       
    


Returning to school at an older age is not all negative!  One of the benefits of being surrounded by younger classmates is that I get to see educated minds at work.  It keeps my own mind young and in tune with society.  I love being involved with social media.  I love sitting back and listening to students discuss their “problems” and thinking of how I wish I could trade problems with them.  I love living the life of a “normal” college student vicariously. My fellow students are fine young people who will continue to grow and mature into even finer adults.

 Onward and upwards to the future. 

3 comments:

  1. The older I get, the more I'm starting to see that you really can't plan for anything. It's kind of sad that life throws things at you that you never expected and you're just supposed to "figure it out", but I guess that keeps life interesting. Thanks for sharing such a personal experience Wendy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Wendy, you have gone through a lot. Glad you had the strength to get out when you could. No one deserves to be treated like that. Thank you for sharing. Hearing experiences like yours will help us all as we get into the "real world". Never give up and stand for what you believe in is a great message to get out to everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Wendy, first things first. Great job on getting the heck out of that abusive marriage, many people don't have the courage to do it but you did. Your children must be proud having such a courageous and dedicated mother.

    I certainly admire your ability to find a positive aspect in a negative situation. It truly inspires me to start doing the same. Thanks for the insight Wendy.

    You Go Girl!

    ReplyDelete