Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Mature vs Average Aged College Student

While the average 20-25 year old is in college, life revolves around parties, getting together with friends, going on holidays, college events and hanging with family.  The cares of running a household, caring for children at home, having to do secular work, housework and homework simultaneously is not even on the radar for most of them.
The average college student does not face the pressure of being over 40 years of age, and going into debt with $30-50,000 in student loans that have to be paid back within 10 or 15 years. 
Younger students are less concerned about finding that “perfect” job.  If this career doesn't work out, there is still time to switch things up and go back to retrain. Olderstudents like me, had better find what they want to do quickly and stick to it because the older they get, the harder it is to find work.

I am focused on the reality that I need to take advantage of any and all opportunities that come my way. Having a stellar workhistory, of going above and beyond the call of duty, having excellent references and people skills; means very little in today's job market.     College students in their 20’s do not face the challenge of having to compete for a job with someone half their age; and when they DO enter the workforce, they are not being interviewed by people who are their own children’s age.  They do not have the fear of being unable to find work and being viewed as redundant because of their age.

I have to trust in myself that there are still a lot of good years left in this old gal and I mean to live them to the fullest extent.  You are never too old to learn.  Onward and Upward

 


  1.  

4 comments:

  1. I admire your perseverance. I truly believe in the power of higher education, even though today's economy might not guarantee a job out of the deal. Either way, you made a decision to keep learning, and you stuck with it. Nice work, Wendy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. First off, I am thrilled you finally took the time to put yourself first and decide to return to school. Putting your future and career on hold for others is a huge selfless sacrifice to take on. Everything happens for a reason and the important lesson here is that you have taken your past and learned from your experiences. I hope this blog pieces together and reassures the decisions you made were made for the right reason. Happy writing Wendy!

      Delete
  3. I can certainly relate to running a household while going to back to school. I did go to college in my 20's and had a career I am still very proud of and yet here I am back in school too! Even though I had schooling and references I'd been "out of the game" for 6 years raising my two girls and I felt the need to upgrade my skills and re-think what types of work I could do. Good for you for going back to school and taking time out for yourself... I know myself how difficult both those things are to do.

    ReplyDelete